Historical costumes and some editing

Once again, no new words for me since the last post. Today was another granddaughter birthday, and since the girls really like (or at least they claim to like) the custom-made Barbie dresses from their Grandma, I got out the sewing machine again and put together a few more creations:

OOAK Barbie costumes

The Barbie on the left is wearing a Galadriel dress I found on the Internet. I even removed some of the Barbie’s atrocious eye makeup with fingernail polish remover. But I just don’t have the time to go whole hog and get rid of everything and start repainting her face, so that she looks less Barbie-like and more LOTR. The girls probably wouldn’t appreciate it anyway. 🙂

The doll in the middle is Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Lisa requested the movie for her birthday, and I thought it would be cool to give her the doll as well, but Esmeralda has been discontinued, and I could only get her naked. So I googled and tried to replicate her outfit as best I could.

I personally like the pseudo-medieval dress on the right best. It’s based on bliaut patterns on the Internet that I adapted to fashion doll size, using materials I had available.

Not particularly writing-related, I realize, but, on the other hand, since I do write historical fantasy that’s strong on the historical, it might come in handy some day to know how to make a bliaut. 🙂

Writing-wise, the last few days have once again revolved around editing rather than creating new words. It’s been some time since I’ve worked on A Wasted Land, so I printed out everything I have until now and am working through it in hard copy, making notes and editing. For some reason, I find it easier to be brutal with myself on paper than in digital form, and sometimes that is exactly what’s needed. For me, when editing on screen, it’s so easy to just tweak here and there without considering the big picture. On paper, it’s much easier to slash unnecessary sentences or reorganize sections with big circles and arrows — and sometimes even with scissors. *g* (With that confession, I’m definitely showing my age.)

Anyway, I’m about a fifth of the way through A Wasted Land in hard copy now. Which probably sounds better than it is, since some of the earlier sections have been through previous edits, either to be workshopped, or to be shared on this blog. So what I did this last week was the easy part. 🙂

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Historical costumes and some editing”

  1. Those Barbie clothes are gorgeous! My grandma used to sew Barbie clothes for me, way back when. I sew now, and am still impressed with how she did it (and now, you too) – it’s really challenging to sew something that small!

    Good luck on the editing! I find it much more effective on paper too. 🙂

  2. “For some reason, I find it easier to be brutal with myself on paper than in digital form” I know what you mean. I do the same, particularly if I find myself wallowing. And the Barbie gowns are exquisite. Such tiny detailed work.

  3. Love the dresses! Sometimes I wish I could sew.

    I find it difficult to edit on the computer, but I cringe at all the paper and toner to print it out. So, I’ve taken to sending it to my kindle. Can’t fix anything from there, so I do a lot of highlighting and creating notes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s