Here’s my schedule for the Leipzig Book Fair (in German):
Samstag, 14. März
12:00 Uhr Ausbildbar, Halle 5, Stand A 502 (ca. 30 min)
13:00 Uhr MDR 1
Frau Karin Engler
14:00 Uhr Leseinsel Fantasy, Halle 2, Stand H 401 (ca. 45 min)
15:30 Uhr Video-Interview für Random House Homepage
Frau Maria Hinz
19:00 Uhr Lesung
Sonntag, 15. März
11:30 Uhr Leseinsel Fantasy, Halle 2, Stand H 401 (ca. 45 min)
Gordon Van Gelder has put the Nebula-nominated stories from Fantasy & Science Fiction online, including my story, “Mars: A Traveler’s Guide”. All of the stories are
here. They include “The Political Prisoner” by Charlie Finlay, “Kaleidoscope” by K.D. Wentworth, “The Tomb Wife” by Gwyneth Jones, “Pride and Prometheus” by John Kessel, and “If Angels Fight” by Richard Bowes.
My story “Mars: A Traveler’s Guide” (F&SF, January 2008) is on the final Nebula ballot this year — after initially being left off. I am stunned and amazed. Happiness at the nomination is now finally beginning to return after my initial surprise.
Luckily for me, the flights to the west coast end of April turned out to be amazingly inexpensive, and my husband I will be there.
Just returned last week from the latest Villa Diodati workshop — a number of pictures on my Flickr site. My next non-writing project is to update the web page with info on the previous two workshops and participants.
In other news:
– The brochure for the Spring 2009 program for the new fantasy imprint of Random House Germany Penhaligon includes a three page spread for Flamme und Harfe (once known as Yseult):
Note: Trying to open the PDF in my browser killed it, but if you have the same problem and you really want to see it, you can right click and save to disk, and Acrobat will open the local file with no problem. Further note: The chick on the first full page spread is me, with a lot of help from a brilliant photographer and expat like me. (Apparently the explanation is necessary, since a number of my nieces and nephews didn’t have a clue it was me when I showed the brochure off.)
– Reprint rights for Yseult in Dutch have just sold to a publisher by the name of Mynx for a surprisingly respectable advance.
– I sold my short story “On the Shadow Side of the Beast” to Apex Magazine. I have never written horror in my life, so I’m a bit surprised and very pleased with this particular sale.
– The subagent for Random House Germany in Spain has named Yeult / Flamme und Harfe “Book of the Week”: link
It’s been a crazy couple of weeks / months, jumping countries and continents, and including death, sickness, and birthday. Anyway, with all of that, I never got around to reporting the recent story sales and publication news.
– “To Act the Witch” to Tales of Moreauvia
– “Troy and the Aliens” to Abyss & Apex. It’s scheduled to come out in the fourth quarter.
– “Ghosts of Dead Ideas” to the newish mag Renard’s Menagerie – my zombie unicorn in space story.
“Mars, A Traveler’s Guide” has now appeared in Hungarian:
My story “Act of Conviction” sold to Helix and “Mars: A Traveler’s Guide” (which appeared in the January F&SF) is going to be translated into Hungarian.